Tuesday, November 11, 2008

One 3 wool sweater

The sweater is all done (the ends are even all tucked in). I didn't, however, get it finished in time to take a picture in daylight. Indoor light just isn't as nice and it doesn't favour dark colours. With a little fiddling I managed to get a picture that almost captures the actual appearance of the sweater.
3 wool front

In the end I used up all of the two green/blue yarns but I still have a couple of small balls of the brown left over. I guess this means that I can knit a simple sweater out of a pound of fiber, more or less. This is nice to know for future projects. After knitting this I really want to knit more sweaters with hand spun. It is wonderful to knit with.

Project details:

Yarn: 4 oz each of blue/green Coopworth and dark BFL from Ariadne Knits and 8 oz Dark Welsh

Needles: 4.5mm with 3.75mm and 3.25 mm for the neckline.

Pattern: A modified version of Walker's top down raglan. I fiddled with the rate of increase at the shoulders to make more of a scoop neckline. I increased every row for about an inch and then every third row (instead of increasing every second row as the pattern instructs). If I tried this again I would not increase every row at the front and I would make the neckline deeper. Knit and learn.

Now that I'm done this sweater I'll have to find something else to blog about tomorrow. I'll have to choose between old finished objects and current unfinished. Or maybe I should start and finish something before I blog tomorrow...


Briley said...

I am more in awe of your talent than ever.

K said...

That's really pretty and looks good on.

If you can start and finish something before your next post, I take my hat off to you. But having seen how quickly that sweater appeared, I wouldn't put it past you.

knitty_kat said...

this is awesome!!