Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Now it's finished



The sweater is official done. All of the ends are tucked it and it only need to dry before it can be worn. Hurrah.

Details:

Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Superwash. 7 skeins of Truffle and 6 of Fired Brick.

Needles: Mostly knit on a 4.5 mm circular and 4.5 mm DPNs for the sleeves. The cuffs and bottom ribbing are knit using size 3.75 mm needles, and the neckband was knit using 4.5 mm, 3.75 mm and 3.5 mm needles.

Pattern: This is a version of Barbara Walker's Top-down Raglan sweater. It is heavily influenced by Brooklyn Tweed's version. About the only differences are that my sweater uses a slightly different red and is longer and less wide.

This is the first sweater I have knit for someone else. I wanted to make Ken a sweater and having shown him several different patterns he chose this one. Brooklyn Tweed's stuff is always so nicely knit and beautifully photographed that it is really no surprise that anyone should want a copy of it.

The sleeves were the only real tricky part of knitting this. It took several rips and reknits to get a nice even rate of decrease. Looking at it off the needles and on the recipient I think next time I would decrease faster at the top of the sleeve and leave the bottom a bit wider. Knit and learn.

Tomorrow I will probably show off the handspun sweater that I started as soon as this sweater was off the needles.

1 comment:

Briley said...

It looks wonderful! I bet Ken is thrilled!

Can't wait to see the brginnings of the handspun sweater. Did I tell you I am planning a handspun sweater project inspired by you? I loved that Lopi sweater you made last year so much that I wanted to do something similar for myself. Even light Lopi is way too heavy for a sweater for me. So, I have been collecting natural coloured Icelanic wool to spin something more like a DK weight.