Monday, November 2, 2009

Perfect fall hat

OzB wants pictures which rules out my current works in progress. Luckily (?) I have several finished projects that never made it to the blog. I think my favorite of the lot is my Snapdragon hat:
This project began back in April when I was participating in a Ravelry spin along. The challenge was to spin something everyday. I had a bunch of white wool top which I dyed up in small batches so that I would have something colourful to spin. One of the batches of top came out a really lovely bright orange:
As soon as the top was dry I sat down at my wheel and spun it up and then made it into a simple 2 ply:
I ended up with about 300 yards of yarn somewhere between a fingering weight and a dk weight. It reminds me a lot of Shetland jumper weight yarn used for colour work.

I loved the yarn but didn't have a project in mind so it remained on the top of my stash pile waiting for me to find the perfect thing. I thought about using it for some stranded work but I wasn't sure what colour I would use it with or what sort of garment it would work best as.

The I spotted the Snapdragon hat on Ysolda's blog. The yarn weight was just about right and the colour matched so I jumped on the excuse to buy the entire Whimsical Little Knits 2 collection.

I cast on September 17 and was done a couple of days later. I've been wearing this hat every chance I get since it came off my needles. It is the perfect fall weight hat and I'll be sad when it finally gets cold and windy enough here that I'll need something warmer.

I still have some yarn left so I've been working on a pair of fingerless gloves to go with the hat. I don't know if I'll have enough yarn to knit the mits I have in mind but we shall see. One of these days I'll get a picture of them...

1 comment:

OzB said...

Hehehe.....I love your snapdragon hat! And I love the colour. My niece, Emily, would LERV that hat soooo much :-)

Thanks for the pic :-)