Saturday, January 5, 2008

Good to be home

After more than a week visiting in Montreal I'm glad to be home. I love the city but I miss my own apartment (and internet access). Because I've been away from the computer, I'm a bit behind on posting about my knitting. I got enough computer time while in Montreal to show off the squirrelly socks but not the bird mittens. I managed to get these completely done on New Year's Eve, which was a nice way to end the year. They are now blocked and ready to hit the mail as a late Christmas present.
bird back
bird palms
Pattern: Bird in Hand Mittens
Size: Second smallest
Yarn: Cascade 220; one ball of blue and one of black
Needles: 2.75 Bamboo DPNs (my favorite sock needles)
I didn't make any adjustments to the pattern, though I think I should have knit them one size larger. I always worry that mittens are going to be way to big when I'm working on the cuff only to realize that they are in fact just a hair too small. Hopefully realizing this will help me avoid making this mistake again but who knows.

I really love this pattern. The way the pattern on the back continues to vine up the thumb charms me. It does make a very dense mitten, which should keep the wind out as well as the warmth in. I think, though, that you could get away with a thinner yarn, especially with the smaller sizes.

Tomorrow I will update you on my shawl progress. Cheers.

No comments: