Monday, January 21, 2008

Ends in sight

So my plan was to work on fixing the edging of the shawl last night so that I could show off the results today. However I ended up working on my sock instead since it allowed me to multi-task (i.e. watch some TV at the same time). Then this evening I managed to turn the heel on the second of my Mingus socks and now I can't bring myself to set the sock down and pick up the shawl.

This happens to me when I'm reading a couple of books at the same time too. I will happily read some of one and then some of the other right up until the end is in sight for one of them. Once I can see then end I feel the need to get it finished and I will completely ignore the other book. At least I'm consistent.

While I haven't fixed the shawl yet I can at least share the plan for fixing it. The problem is that I missed the instruction for the beginning of edging that said to cast on stitches rather than cast them off. This was the result:


As you can see it looks a bit funny on the right where the edging begins. I would be tempted to leave it as it is and just try to hide it in the blocking but I want both sides of my shawl to match and I don't feel like making this same mistake twice. My solution is to cut the yarn where I bound it off at the beginning and reknit the first couple of repeats of the edging.

Before I cut my knitting, though, I wanted to make sure that my solution would work. I picked up the stitches along the mistakenly cast off edge and knit the start of the edging as instructed. It looks like it should work out just fine. (The shawl picture from my last post shows the trial run edging all knit up.) Now the plan is to rip out my trial run, cut the yarn and proceed to fix the edging properly. By the end I hope the mistake won't be visible, even to those who know it is there.

No comments: