Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happy Spring Equinox

In keeping with the day I wish I could say that I was half finished some project (equally finished and unfinished, the night and day of knitting perhaps?) I have just started on the first sleeve of my sweater, though, and I have yet to cast on for my socks, so that's out.

Instead I decided to put winter behind me by finally posting on my finished Pomegranate/Snood scarf.



Pattern: Of my own devising using a brioche stitch found in a 1940s snood pattern.

Yarn: 1 skein of my hand spun white Shetland yarn and 1 skein of Handmaiden Fine Yarn Casbah Sock yarn.

Needles: 3.75 mm straight needles. It was actually nice to knit with straight needles after using circulars and DPNs so often.

Notes: Since the Cashmere sock yarn was so much softer than the Shetland I knew that I would want it around my neck so I made the white stripes big at the two ends and made sure I had a nice long red stripe in the center. When I washed this scarf it became very loose and stretchy because of the loose gauge I used so it was relatively easy to block nice and wide and flat. If I had been more patient I would have a done a proper blocking rather than the vague stretching I settled for but in any event the wash and block got rid of most of the curl in the edges.

While I started out calling this my 'snood' scarf the longer I worked on it the more it reminded me of pomegranates. The rich soft reds and the rougher white are really to blame. Since it is now a pomegranate scarf I think it is the perfect project to mark the end of winter and beginning of spring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.