Monday, March 2, 2009

Update

I thought I'd write up a quick post before I fell too far behind on my blog again. I've been doing some spinning recently but I don't have any pictures at the moment. I spun up some baby alpaca that has been sitting around for quite awhile. It is lovely and shiny but I was surprised by how much dirt came out when I set the twist. I'm used to very clean roving/top but I guess alpaca doesn't need washed like wool does so that step is sometimes skipped. Next time I use preprepared alpaca I'll be sure to wash a bit before I spin.

I also spun some of the dark BFL that I dyed red. I haven't figured out the yardage yet and I'm not sure what it will become. I also discovered a partial bobbin with undyed dark BFL singles on it so I plied it up.

I think I just convinced myself that I should do a yarn photo shoot in the next couple of days.

I do have a picture of my most recently finished pair of socks. They are a simple ribbed design using some yarn that has been in my stash a couple of years. I used to have the label but I don't think it came with me when I last moved. All that I remember is that is is hand dyed and that I bought it at a booth at the Kitchener Waterloo Knitter's sale. These socks are for someone else but I've already cast on a pair of socks for myself using the yarn leftovers. I seem to be on a bit of a leftover sock yarn knitting jag. Pictures to follow.

1 comment:

Joan said...

HI. I washed my bag of the alpaca after I tested a piece. Broke it into about six foot lengths and dipped it into cool water with wool-wash and squeezed it dry. Worked really well and is now drying on the msg table. The sample was dry in a couple of hours hanging. Dtying lying down make take longer. It is softer after washing which is making spinning easier but don't let the attention drift.