Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Great to be home

The Montreal trip was a lot of fun but it is nice to be home. In Montreal I knit socks and visited yarn stores in between delicious meals. Montreal is a city I would gladly live in and always enjoy visiting. Alright, I'll admit that I've only visited the city three times and only for a week at a time, but still I enjoyed myself those three times.

I will post pictures of my socks tomorrow, once they have had a chance to finish drying. I will post pictures of the Tatami once the weather cools down enough that I can stand the idea of putting on a wool sweater for any length of time. In the meantime I will show you pictures of my newest toy.


It is a Turkish spindle that I ordered from The Bellwether before I left for my trip. I'm in love. I've spun the little pouf of fiber that came with it, some white Shetland wool I got at Romni when I was in Toronto for the Yarn Harlot signing, and some green Fleece Artist Wensleydale I picked up in Montreal at Effiloche.


The yarn on the left is my first try and the yarn on the right is what I was spinning by the end of the day. One of the fun things about learning new skills is how easy it is to see the progress. I've got a long way to go but I'm already better than I was when I started. Behold the before and after shot:



The new spindle is in anticipation of my mother coming to visit me the weekend after next. She taught me how to crochet, then knit (with some machine knitting and wading pool felting along the way) and now she will teach me to spin. It doesn't take much looking to find the source of my fiber habit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I so want to be able to do that, I've got a spindle, books & fibre but I'm a visual learner so I've gotten no where with it.